Cycling is supposed to be a low impact yet the most effective exercise. If you want to stay fit and have minimum equipment in your home, then you cannot overlook a recumbent bike. These bikes are considered to be the most forgiving of all fitness machines. However, there are a few things that you need to know before you buy it, set it and use it.
Set it right
Always get a recumbent bike from a reputed store and a reputed and reliable manufacturer. Once you do so, you will now need to set it up correctly. Once you are done with the setup, you must leave it that way. A certain amount of care is required when you set these bikes up for the first time.
- You must make sure that the knee angle and position on the recumbent bike is correct. Since your knees are one of the most technical parts of your body, it should be therefore treated with care.
- Your leg at the end of the pedal stroke must be bent at an angle between 10 to 15 degrees, and the knee must be at an angle of ninety degrees. You can do this easily by raising the seat height till you feel that the knees are fully extended at that point when the pedal is furthest from you. This will ensure that all of your leg muscles are in movement and at the same time will protect your knees nicely during the exercise.
You may feel that you need to change the position of the seat of the indoor bikes, but that is actually not true if you really want to target all different muscle groups. You must keep the bike seat in such a position that it is optimal for your knees.
Few usage tips
You can play with resistance setting if you want to work with different muscle groups and all good recumbent indoor bikes come with an adjustable resistance.
- Simply raise the resistance setting to shift the workout to your hamstrings and gluteus.tayloright.com/best-recumbent-bikes
- On the other hand, if you want to high-RPM speed work when you pedal, ensure less resistance to engage more of your quadriceps into the movement.
- You may also add a few lunges and weighted squats to complement your bike workouts but make sure that you do them before or after your biking session as per your preference.
All these will ensure better and proper muscle recruitment and make your bike comfortable to use. You will feel no extra pressure on your wrists, neck, seat, legs, and shoulders.
You will have your back well supported due to the ergonomically comfortable seat. Check on the size as well as the style of the seat of the bike before you buy one. The seats are ideally positioned higher than all other upright bikes to ensure better visibility, stability, the center of gravity, and safety.
A good recumbent bike should make you feel comfortable when you pedal as your feet will be used most when you exercise with it.