- Check Under the Steering Column: Look for a small square button under the steering column, especially if it's a Chevy or GMC. This button, when pressed, can release the key.
- Steering Wheel and Shifter Movement: Sometimes, the steering wheel or shifter being locked can prevent the key from coming out. Gently wiggle them while trying to remove the key.
- Jump Start the Battery: A low or dead battery can lock the key in place for security reasons. Putting a jump pack on the battery might help.
- Safety Interlocks: Press the brake pedal (and clutch if applicable). Jiggle the shifter and steering wheel while attempting to remove the key.
- Try a Different Approach: One slightly unconventional method that you could try is tapping the key deeper with a block of wood or hitting the ignition area with the bottom of a shoe. While these methods can work, they should be used with caution to avoid further damage.
- Shifter Issues: Sometimes, the shifter might not be fully engaged in park, preventing key removal. Try moving the shifter back and forth between drive and park.
- Consult a Professional: If all else fails, it might be time to call an automobile locksmith. They have the tools and expertise to handle such situations without causing damage.
Please login or Register to submit your answer