Selling your junk car to a junkyard might turn out to be a nightmare – here are all the ins and outs that you need to be aware of and also all the do’s and don’ts that you need to watch out for.
In the first place, the question will always remain “How can I sell my car to a junkyard?” Another question that might follow is “How much does a junkyard pay for a car?”
You are more likely to be stranded and worried whenever you want to sell your car to a junkyard when you have never done it before and also when you have no idea of all the ins and outs. Is that the current situation that you are battling to overcome?
If that’s the case, then, you need to have in mind that selling your car to a junkyard might always be profitable for you and for that reason, you need to dedicate your time and find out more about it!
That’s now aside; a major drawback in this whole process of selling your car to a junkyard might be on how you can locate a legit scrapyard or even a junkyard that is near you.
All that being just the tip of the iceberg – there are more things that you’ve been missing out!
Let’s plunge in!
Reasons that might make you sell your car to a Junkyard
If you are reading this particular article, your next move or your thoughts are all about selling your car to a junkyard, isn’t that so? So, what made you think of this move? And is it really a perfect move? Now that it seems that there are tons of questions without answers, here’s all you need to know about what might make you sell your car to a junkyard:
- The first reason that might trigger an individual to choose to sell his or her car to a junkyard is simply that you might end up spending more money when he or she chooses to repair the car. This is opposed to selling the car that might make the individual walk back home with more money or even profits.
- Getting rid of a heap of metal that one used to call a car and besides that getting some fast bucks and walk back home happy.
Drawbacks involved in selling your car to a Junkyard
Selling your car to a junkyard might also turn out to be a nightmare that’s not worth the cash offered for your scrap or even your junk car. The deal might end up being unfair on your end as a seller.
So, some of the drawbacks that you’re more likely to stumble on when selling your car to a junkyard are not limited to:
- The scrapyards or even the junkyards might cause more headaches than the cash offered.
- Usually, scrapyards or the junkyards do buy cars at the lowest price possible. This might make one think that he or she is scammed, swindled or even exploited.
Despite all the above listed drawbacks of selling a car to a junkyard, an individual might also walk home relieved and happy after disposing of heaps of metals that he or she used to call after getting some fast money in exchange of useless heaps of metals.
For the above reason, in this article, we are going to discuss more on the benefits and even drawbacks that you might face when you decide to sell your car to a junkyard.
Benefits of Selling a Car to a Junkyard
Selling your car to a junkyard might make several goodies come your way and for that reason, there is a need to narrow it down into this particular area. So, what benefits might come your way when you choose to sell your car to a junkyard?
They are not limited to:
- It’s all about cash when you choose to sell your junk car at a junkyard. Are you in need of quick cash to cover up for your bills or even your emergency expenses? If so, a junkyard is your solution whenever you have a junk car. All you need to be aware of is that there are many requirements that you will have to provide for a junkyard to pay you cash for your junk car.
- At a junkyard, you will have all the reasons to smile since there is no discrimination. Regardless of your car being so old or even lacking several other important things such as an engine – you are still confident that you will still sell it. In this case, they will always remove some of the parts that are valuable and resell them or even use them.
- You have a fixed timeline, right? You don’t have to worry of spending more time at a junkyard or even going there several times to have everything fixed. The process of selling your car to a junkyard will be fast and you will be ready to go in a few minutes. All that they do is to scrutinize your car and tell you the amount that they can offer you and make the payments when you accept the stated amount.
How Can I Sell My Car to a Junkyard?
If you have come to a decision of selling your car to a junkyard after several consultations and even after weighing out things, then, what do you need to do to have the cash right inside your wallet and get back home happier and relieved?
Here are some of the tips and measures that you need to watch out for:
- The first step that you need to take is to come up with a list of all the junkyards that lie within a 15-20 mile radius of your home or your current location. Note down all the names, owners and even the phone numbers of the available junkyards. You can also bookmark their websites in your computer if they have one. Recheck all the details and ensure that they are correct. You might also experience a situation whereby you can email addresses and even phone numbers of some junkyards but they don’t work.
- The second step that you can take is to share all the specs of your car. With the listed phone numbers or emails of several junkyards around you, share with all of them the entire specs of your car. You can also include anything that you feel that can add value to your car such as if it’s running or not and many other extras available. Think roof racks, bolts on lights or side steps for SUVs
Again, you need to also include details such as the year of manufacture, make and also the model. Besides that, check out the side of the car and also share the VIN or Vehicle Identification Number. Make sure you share the correct number since the VIN numbers are always long.
- Now, ask what each of the junkyards can offer after describing everything about your car. You need to note down these offers. Keep all those numbers safe.
- The next move is to compare all the offers that you received from all of the junkyards. If your vehicle is running, you need to compare these offers with a lot of thought. If the vehicle is running, deliver the vehicle to the junkyard since this will help you save on the towing fees. If your vehicle can’t move, you need to call different towing companies and compare the towing fees. All you need is to choose a company that is affordable.
- The next step is to prepare the car for delivery. Ensure that you search for any money, coins and even other personal valuables that might have remained inside the car before you tow it to the junkyard.
The Price of Selling a Car to a Junkyard
You might also ask this in simple words as how much does a junkyard pay for your car, right? There is no specific answer for this particular question but the best answer is that, specifications such as your car’s year of manufacture, make, model and condition will always be the pillar factors to estimate how much you will be paid at a junkyard for your car.
You can also call junkyards near you on what they always looks for in vehicles that they buy so as to estimate the amount that your car might fetch.
How Can I Maximize The Money For My Junk Car?
All that you need is to get the most amount from your car when you choose to sell it, isn’t that so? But, how can you do this?
Well, all you need to do is to keenly scrutinize your car. As you do that, keep gauging the condition of your vehicle. Upon completing that, your mind will be struck with several ideas on how you can sell it for more money.
Some of the ideas that you can choose from include:
- Selling your car to a private dealership or even a private buyer if in any case your car is running and is in good condition. That move will fetch you more money as compared to taking it to a junkyard.
- You can also check Craigslist to compare your car with the similar ones that are being sold there.
- Check out for some of the parts of your car that are in mint condition and evaluate their costs
- Instead of taking your car to the junkyard, you might choose to sell of the important parts that are in mint condition all by yourself.
- Lastly, ask those who have ever sold their cars to junkyards and let them tell you about the legit junkyards that are less likely to scam you.
Selling a Car to the Junkyard without a Title
Several car owners always arrive at junkyards without their car title. It would be of help if you carry with you your car title once you decide to sell your car to a junkyard.
You can also come with a duplicate car title when you choose to sell it to a junkyard. Although that might make you dig into your pockets and spend a few bucks, it’s worth the bucks.
According to previous experiences, it’s always a requirement for one to prove that he or she is the owner of the vehicle through the production of the vehicle title. All junkyards that you will visit will accept an owner’s title as a proof of vehicle ownership.
If by any chance you are lacking the title, you need to inform the junkyard in prior to avoid disappointment. Besides that, you can also ask them if they can accept some other documents as a proof of vehicle ownership.
In relation to that, several junkyards might accept:
- A storage lien
- An auction sales receipt
- A car registration
- Repossession affidavit
- Mechanic’s lien
Before you tow your car to the junkyard, you need to call in prior and inquire if they will accept certain documentation that you have as a proof of ownership. Doing so will help you conduct the sale quickly without disappointment.
Vehicle Title and Junkyard Explained
Apart from all that said above, what if you misplaced the title of your vehicle? If you have lost your car title, the best move that you can take is to try having it replaced. You can do all this by mainly reaching out to your state’s DMV or BMV so that they can send it to you through your email. However, you also need to know that this process depends from state to state, but again, you need to be sure that you will be asked to provide identification and even be asked to pay a fee that may cost you a few bucks.
Besides that, you need to also know that if your car carries a lien, it cannot be sold to a junkyard or even anyone except a state-licensed dealership. If your car is a scrapper, sadly, you also have to accept the fact that very few or even no dealership might be interested in buying the car. This will make your options to be thin.
What if your car was damaged in an accident that made it is written off as a total loss on your insurance? Here, your insurance company needs to cover all the costs of the vehicle. But again, there are some scenarios whereby you may owe some given amount of money. In case you opted for full gap insurance, then, any remaining balance will be settled.
Lastly, all that you need to have to facilitate a sale at the junkyard is only the title. And just like mentioned earlier, due to the fact that the vehicle is no longer registered for road use, you will have to take it for a safety inspection, emissions inspection and even any other stated mandatory measures and procedures whenever one is selling a car to a private buyer.
Is Selling your Car to Cash Buyers Beneficial as Compared to Junkyards?
Now that you know everything about selling your car to a junkyard, it’s also worth it to weigh if selling your car to cash buyers might be better as compared to junkyards.
We are going to explain in detail why going to a junkyard needs to be your last option!
It would be of help if you understand why one can choose to sell a car to a junkyard. The main reason behind this is that if one aims at the least rewarding and least profitable way to sell a car, then, the junkyard is the best place to be! This can be demanded by the deteriorated condition of the vehicle.
In other words, selling a car to a junkyard is meant for cars that fetch little money or even have no hope of fetching good money.
Again, there are several drawbacks of selling a car to a junkyard; some of them are not limited to:
- Undergoing towing fees if your car can’t move
- You will sell your vehicle at the lowest price ever
- You might also get scammed at the junkyard
To avoid being a victim of all the above-mentioned situations, if your car is in a mint condition, you need to consider selling it to cash buyers.
Consider a Private Sale over Junkyards when Selling your Car
If you think that junkyards are not the best place for your car, then, please avoid them at all cost! If your car is still in mint condition and is also running, there is no need to walk into a junkyard and bargain for prices there.
Even though junkyards do appear to be very good since they offer fast and even painless transactions for your car, you need to remind yourself that all these come at a given price that you will have to pay back in one way or another. This could be later regrets of a rushed decision that you took.
Just like earlier said in most parts of this article, junkyards are known to offer the lowest amount that one can pay for your car. It’s always all about a throw-away price. Are you wondering why you are offered the lowest price at the junkyard for your car? Well, all that you need to know is that in most of the situations, people do only get the value of the raw materials that usually add up to meager amount – talk of few hundred dollars for your car!
If you say no to sell your car to a junkyard, you are not left desperate since you still have another way that you can still dispose of your car at a higher price than that of junkyards.
In this case, you might consider private sales since they always result in profitable sales. Here, the sale is a bit more fruitful than that of the junkyards. All that you need to know here is that you are going to be asked to transfer the registration and even handle the inspections and perhaps other several compliance costs.
All that might appear daunting and also cost you some bucks but you need to understand that if you find a willing buyer at a fair or better price, then, all that is worth the exchange.
In other words, you need to know that junk car buyers are always motivated by some car parts that are still operational in your car. These people are always car enthusiasts who go for certain parts of your car that have higher demands in the market.
Anytime will walk into a junkyard to sell your car, you need to be ready to be asked several questions about your car. At some point, some of these questions might appear to be unrelated to the business that brought you there.
So, if you choose to sell your car to a private buyer instead of a junkyard, you need to bear in mind that it might take you time to find someone who is interested in buying your car at a better price. And again, if your car model and year are considered to be old, selling such cars to a private buyer might be very hard. For this reason, you need to wait and be patient because in the end, you will have to find a private buyer who pays money that is worth all the time you waited as compared to selling your car to a junkyard.
Facts: Selling Your Car to a Junkyard
- A clean title is needed to sell your car to a junkyard.
- A car with a lien cannot be sold to a junkyard.
- Contacting multiple junkyards and comparing offers can help you get the best price for your car.
- A junkyard may expect you to deliver your car if it is still drivable.
- Remove all personal belongings from your car before pickup by the junkyard.
- License plates are not transferred with the car and should be returned to the motor vehicle agency or re-registered.
- It may be necessary to report the sale of your vehicle to the state, depending on where you live.
- Selling to a junkyard usually yields minimal payment for your vehicle.
- Private sales may require more effort, but can potentially result in a higher payout.
- Junk car buyers may have specific needs and questions, and it may take time to find a buyer for your car.
After keenly reading this comprehensive guide on how to sell your car to a junkyard, it’s something not new if one tells you that you need to weigh and explore other existing options before you decide or rush to sell your car to a junkyard. And honestly, from this article you must have realized that selling your car to a junkyard is not considered as the best move but the last option that one might choose to take.
If you choose to sell your car to a junkyard, bear in mind that this is the last option that one can choose from and besides that, it’s also the least profitable way that you can sell your car when you have no hope of selling it anywhere else. If your vehicle is running and is in a good condition, kindly ditch thoughts of selling your car to a junkyard and instead look for a private buyer who will offer you a certain amount that matches your car’s value.