Alarming Insights: A Call to Action for British Drivers
As the festive season approaches, Bridgestone is highlighting a crucial message about road safety. Their recent research shows a concerning lack of awareness amongst UK motorists regarding tyre safety. Astonishingly, 54% of drivers fail to see the significant risks posed by illegal tyres, with only a small fraction considering them as the most vital safety feature of their vehicle. This complacency is worrying, especially given that tyres are the only points of contact between a vehicle and the road.
Neglecting Tyre Safety: A Road to Potential Peril
In a survey of 2,000 drivers, Bridgestone has discovered a troubling trend: a staggering 81% of motorists rarely, if ever, check their tyres for signs of wear or damage. This oversight is particularly alarming in light of the 159 deaths or serious injuries and 4,596 total casualties attributed to tyre-related incidents on UK roads in recent years. Moreover, the presence of around 10 million illegal tyres on Britain’s roads annually exacerbates this danger.
Enhanced Caution for Christmas Travellers
With the Christmas period typically seeing an increase in travel as people visit family and friends, Bridgestone’s message becomes even more pertinent. Taking a few minutes to check your tyres could be the most considerate act you do this festive season, safeguarding not only your own life but also those of other road users.
Advice from Bridgestone’s Expert Andrea Manenti
Andrea Manenti, Bridgestone’s Vice President for the North Region, stresses the importance of being well-prepared for driving over the Christmas holidays. It’s about more than just having the right tyres; it involves the driver’s awareness and response to various winter hazards. He underlines the necessity for both vehicle and personal readiness in cold weather conditions.
Bridgestone’s Winter Driving Advice: Ensuring Safe Journeys in the Festive Period
- Regular Traction Checks: Keep tabs on your vehicle’s grip under challenging conditions. Applying moderate brake pressure can help gauge grip and inform necessary driving adjustments.
- Proper Tyre Inflation is Key: Driving on under-inflated tyres not only impairs safe handling but also leads to increased fuel consumption and faster tyre wear. Always check your vehicle’s manual for the recommended tyre pressure.
- Tread Depth Matters: The legal minimum tread depth in the UK is 1.6mm. Use a 20p coin to check tread depth; if the outer band of the coin is visible, it’s time for new tyres.
- Smart Driving on Curves: Manage your speed appropriately when approaching a curve, braking in a straight line beforehand and accelerating gradually upon exit.
- Avoid Cruise Control in Adverse Conditions: Maintain manual control over your vehicle in wet, icy, or snowy conditions.
- Safety Over Convenience: Whenever possible, avoid driving in bad weather to ensure your safety.
Bridgestone’s E8 Commitment: Paving the Way for Safer Roads
Bridgestone’s festive tyre safety advice is part of their broader E8 Commitment, which includes Energy, Ecology, Efficiency, Extension, Economy, Emotion, Ease, and Empowerment. These principles guide Bridgestone in delivering safe, comfortable, and innovative mobility solutions.
Ensuring Peace of Mind on Winter Roads
Through these road safety tips, Bridgestone provides ‘Ease’, ensuring comfortable and stress-free mobility, and ‘Extension’, by fostering ongoing innovation for seamless and safe transportation.
For comprehensive tyre safety advice and more information, visit Bridgestone’s dedicated tyre care guide at Bridgestone Tyre Care Guide. Stay safe and ensure a joyful and secure journey this Christmas season.